Monday, March 1, 2010

While I was still a long way off...




"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."
This is the scene from Luke 15 that Rembrandt painted in his 1669 work "The Return of the Prodigal Son". I recently heard a cool explanation of this painting. You see in Luke Jesus only mentions three, or maybe four main players in this drama. They are the Father, the Prodigal Son, the Older Brother, and "servants". It is interesting that Rembrandt chose to paint six people. There are of course the main three players. So who are the other three?
The first seems to be a servant. He finds himself right in the middle of this family drama, yet he seems disconnected, uninterested.
The second may also be a servant. She is standing behind the father, but is leaning in. She is interested in the situation unfolding in front of her. She is peering in from the outside.
The third person is a little harder to spot. S/he is in the top left corner of the painting, possibly unaware of what is going on. This person seems the most distant from the situation.
These thoughts on Rembrandt's depiction of the story in Luke made me wonder: which person am I in the painting? Am I the lost son coming home? The loving and accepting Father? The angry and jealous older brother?
Or maybe I'm one of the others (LOST anyone!). The servant witnessing the Father's great compassion and love but finding myself disconnected. Or maybe the one peering in from the outside, trying to get a better view. Needing, longing to see the outpouring of love. Or maybe I'm just a long way off, completely unaware.
As I was processing these thoughts it occurred to me: I am each one of these people, multiple times daily! I am the lost son, the jealous brother, the person willing to love and forgive. Sometimes I'm watching the scene but am disconnected; other times I'm actively looking for His love. And sometimes, I'm still a long way off.
The remarkable thing is this: regardless of the part I'm playing, God still runs to me and throws his arms around me and kisses me!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Dave. So glad you got so much out of Brad's talk Saturday, in between all of Bec's distractions!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks PJ! BTW, I'm just as inspired by your messages, I just haven't blogged about it yet! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!