This is just a very random thought I had the other day. I was thinking about guys and how we interact sometimes in our friendships. Specifically I was thinking about how we verbally express affection (yes, we sometimes do). Now don't ask me why I was thinking about this, because I have absolutely no idea! The thought just sort of came to me. Anyway, I was considering the phrase "love ya". In my mind, "love ya" has always been a more acceptable phrase to say to another guy than "I Love you". I guess to me it just feels a little less formal and denotes a more friendship kind of love than a romantic kind of love. It kind of reminds me of a verbal "punch in the arm" of sorts. You know, we guys sometimes will give each other an affectionate punch in the arm to show we care. It kinda of says "Hey, I'm glad we're friends. You're a great guy and I care about you". Bet you didn't know a punch could mean so much! So, I feel like saying "Hey man, love ya" at an appropriate time is like a punch in the arm.
Now, who knows, other men may disagree and think I'm crazy. AND, if you know me really well you know I wouldn't generally have a problem telling a close friend "love ya" or even "I love you". It just seems that the "love ya" allows everyone to be more comfortable. Oh, by the way: I also use this phrase in cards and when trying to express affection to female friends who are married. I just feel like it seems to be more appropriate to tell another man's wife "love ya" rather than "I love you". Am I crazy?! Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. What do you think? Comments welcome...
hey Dave, I love ya!
ReplyDeleteLOLOL good one PJ!
ReplyDelete